Old 23-07-2012, 09:15 PM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_12_] Billy[_12_] is offline

Default Elephant ears as houseplant

In article ,
mkr5000 wrote:

Just bought a couple of huge bulbs for 75% off and was told these will make
great houseplants.

I'll get them potted but was wondering -- if I leave them indoors will they
stay robust all year long or will they die back?

It's July now, so what can I expect?

I'm in a USDA Zone 9B. Our elephant ears go dormant during the hot
season 85F, but are very hardy, and always revive in the Fall. They
flower just before going dormant. They don't need a lot of sun, but I
have trouble seeing them as a house plant.

There are at least 3 different plants that are called elephant ears. You
should first identify the plant that you have.
http://mgonline.com/articles/alocasia.aspx

--
Welcome to the New America.
or