Old 25-07-2012, 05:09 AM posted to rec.gardens
Steve Baker Steve Baker is offline

Default I'd really appreciate some help in identifying a couple plants

On Tue, 24 Jul 2012 07:31:08 -0400, PhoenixWench
wrote:

Based on you statement of no milky sap the hawksbeard sounded feasible,
but if there was, in fact, milky sap it sounds more like the previously
suggested sow thistle.

Well, the sow thistle is supposed to be prickly. I basically tore EG
apart with my bare hands, and it wasn't prickly. And (not previously
mentioned), the sow thistle has larger diameter blossoms than EG. So,
discounting the (lack of almost any sap) milky sap, Kay Lancaster's
suggestion to look at the "Lactuca species", specifically Lactuca
canadensis, looks like the winner to me.

Thanks again, Kay! And thanks to all!!