Old 25-07-2012, 09:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default This years fruit performance.

mark wrote:
I don't know if it can be blamed on the weather but here's my report:

Pear trees (2): Hardly any pears
Plum trees (3): Hardly any plums
Apples: Doing okay
Red currants: Much reduced crop
Strawberries: Disappointing, down by a half.

Slugs: bumper crop!

Anybody else experiencing similar?

Plum tree: absolutely nothing
Cherry tree: absolutely nothing
Apples: mixed, dessert apples seem to be ok, cooking apples are almost
non-existant, but this may be a problem with one old tree.
Red/white/blackcurrants: all doing extremely well
Gooseberries: not bad, the early ones were huge but not big crop,
the later red ones are still ripening but look fairly well cropped.
Strawberries: hit and miss, but we didn't treat them well this year, so
hardly surprising.

Slugs: Bloody millions. :-( Got the nemetodes out now, finally, but
so far they've completely killed off 3 separate plantings of beans
(crawling right up the poles and munching the whole damned lot)