Old 25-07-2012, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Rance[_6_] David Rance[_6_] is offline

Default What is your favourite vegetable to grow?

On Tue, 24 Jul 2012 Sacha wrote:

Edward Hyams was among the first to reintroduce vines as wine growing
plants to UK. http://www.molash.com/archive/hyams.htm He grew several
here and in Kent before he moved and they were not a total success.
Otoh, Sharpham Vineyard on the banks of the Dart, about 30 minutes
drive from here on a busy day, produces delicious wine. We do have
commercial vineyards but not in the thousands and thousands of bottles
that can be produced in e.g. Bordeaux.

There have been advances in developing grape varieties since Hyams' time
(I believe he was active in the 1940s/50s) and in most years one can
expect a reasonable harvest.

Last year was a remarkably good year for me and I managed to produce a
reasonably good wine from the Kerner grape which is not really
recommended for Southern England/Northern France.

Despite the damp weather this year I have seen no sign of mildew yet
(crossed fingers!).

David

http://rance.org.uk