Old 25-07-2012, 12:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pat Kiewicz[_2_] Pat Kiewicz[_2_] is offline

Default cucumbers

songbird said:

we haven't grown cucumbers here before.
many years ago we grew them at our other place
but i don't remember the "art" of it as that
would be 30-40something years ago.

which brings me to the question of why one
cucumber out of seven would be extremely bitter?

You may have one plant that is, unfortunately, expressing a
recessive gene for bitterness. You'll have to identify the rogue
and remove it.

Hot, dry weather does tend to bring out the worst in cucumbers,
though.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."