Old 25-07-2012, 12:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default This years fruit performance.

On 25/07/2012 12:20, wrote:
In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:

Oh, yes. No gooseberries at all. Plenty of rhubarb, but the deal

Snap. Is that actually no gooseberries or no decent ones?
Mine succumbed to American mildew very badly but there are plenty of
berries it is just that they are scarred ugly brown things that split.

No mildew. No set.

Most of the things that have failed to set fruit at all were in flower
during a cold snap. I guess this is the same reason why our local tame
beekeeper has several hives with no queen at the moment. The conditions
have been awful and the new queens died without doing a mating flight.

I can count the number of butterflies I have seen this year on the
fingers of one hand. This is not good. My garden is full of high nectar
plants but there are almost no butteflies left to take advantage.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown