Old 25-07-2012, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default This years fruit performance.

"mark" wrote

I don't know if it can be blamed on the weather but here's my report:

Pear trees (2): Hardly any pears
Plum trees (3): Hardly any plums
Apples: Doing okay
Red currants: Much reduced crop
Strawberries: Disappointing, down by a half.

Slugs: bumper crop!

Anybody else experiencing similar?

We only have Cherry Trees now, grubbed up the currants as we don't eat jam
and strawberries are not worth the effort IMO so didn't bother when we
changed sites. Got a few Cherries but they then all got eaten before we
could. Can't be birds as they were well netted, muddy ground showed no
footprints so it must have been wood mice.
Gooseberries are looking good, some are ripe already, this sun should
improve the sweetness too.
Loganberry has a very disappointing crop and it may be it's last season as
it's never fruited well.
Boysenberry has a decent crop again, but what a thug of a plant.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.