Old 25-07-2012, 10:58 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hobden View Post
[/i][/color]
We only have Cherry Trees now, grubbed up the currants as we don't eat jam
and strawberries are not worth the effort IMO so didn't bother when we
changed sites. Got a few Cherries but they then all got eaten before we
could. Can't be birds as they were well netted, muddy ground showed no
footprints so it must have been wood mice.
Gooseberries are looking good, some are ripe already, this sun should
improve the sweetness too.
Loganberry has a very disappointing crop and it may be it's last season as
it's never fruited well.
Boysenberry has a decent crop again, but what a thug of a plant.
-
Apples, medlars seem fine, hardly any pears. Mulberries on track - surprised at the poster who has lost them - we don't expect ours to ripen till Sep. Figs looking good (cross fingers). Alpine strawberries, as someone else has said, doing really well, and the fruits are large. raspberries - abundant but lacking in flavour. Loganberries, tayberries cropping well.

Rhubarb - two plants doing well, two plants completely obliterated by slugs.

Last night I noticed the grass seemed to have strange black markings - looking closer, I realised it was slugs, neatly spaced out at 18 inches apart.