Old 26-07-2012, 01:59 AM posted to rec.gardens
Sean Straw Sean Straw is offline

Default Plant spikes

On Wed, 25 Jul 2012 15:53:32 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson
wrote:

I have "regular" rose and other foods in granular form. Was just about
to apply & thought I'd try the spikes.

Just curious if those spikes deliver on their promise to supply long-
lasting food to roots.

I don't have any scientific data to back it up with (er, but then I
bet the companies pitching them really don't either), but what you're
paying for is little more than a given quantity of some ratio of
fertilizer designed to dissolve over time. as it's undoubtedly NOT an
organic product, your run-of-the-mill granular fertilizers do the same
thing, but you need a measuring teaspoon to dole them out instead of
1-2-3 sticks per pot.

I'd brew up a batch of compost tea and just water with that though.
Oh wait, I believe that's what I already do (though to be honest, no
potted plants in the house, and not too many in the garden that aren't
already planted with a substantial quantity of compost already).