Old 22-04-2003, 11:20 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Default for the birds

MLF wrote:
"Bonnie Espenshade" wrote:

Anyone have any idea how I can get rid of these stinkers?

I enjoy running out the door yelling "GRACKLES BE GONE!"

Bonnie:

Unfortunately, yelling is about all you can do. They have displaced nearly
every other bird and won't ever, ever, EVER go away. They're a good (or bad)
example of an introduced species that muscled in on the existing ecosystem
and expelled every competing species. I hope you're old enough to remember
robins and jays and cardinals and mockingbirds and other such - they're
becoming more and more rare and will never make a comeback as long as the
grackles are here.

Michael Fermanis
New Orleans, Louisiana USA (Remove the RICE to reply)

Hi Michael,

I don't have to be very old to see any of the above
mentioned birds, they are in my yard daily. Robins
rule the backyard and the mockingbirds have the front.
They barely tolerate each other. There are two nesting
pairs of cardinals that have been around for several
years. Bluebirds have become a very welcome visitors.
I also have an assortment of sparrows, brown wrens,
tufted titmouse, chickadees, morning doves, house finch,
flickers, downy woodpeckers, red bellied woodpecker and
juncos are here daily.
Many other types visit occasionally. Come summer the
varieties change but all are abundant. I have a feeders
for many types of birds and shrubs and plants specifically
put in to lure the birds.

--
Bonnie
NJ