Old 25-07-2012, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Spilt rhodo-food stains wooden floor!

On 25/07/2012 22:00, Eddy wrote:
Pete C wrote:
Pee on the floor?

Human urine? Are you serious? If you are, I'd definitely try it.

Chris Hogg, the accidental staining is against the grain, and across
several planks, rather than with the planks, so one would have to
blacken the whole floor to hide the streaks. Anyway, we want our nice
oak floor back!

Martin Brown, thanks for the warning to mop up well after using lemon
juice. Will try the juice tomorrow. Thanks for the rhubarb leaves tip.

ON second thoughts try the rhubarb leaves on a spare piece of
sacrificial scrap oak first. There is a chance that they contain enough
iron in their own right to cause trouble. They do also contain some
oxalic acid but the iron content might be a nuisance.

Yes, there should be a clear warning on the sides of packs of iron
sulphate.

Oxalic acid is sold as one of the more aggressive boiler descalers.

Salt in vinegar is another recipe that is worth a try. I suggest you
experiment on a scrap piece of oak wood with iron to get a mix that
works rather than inflict trial treatments on the precious floor!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown