Old 26-07-2012, 11:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ellis Morgan Ellis Morgan is offline

Default This years fruit performance.

In article , mark
writes

I don't know if it can be blamed on the weather but here's my report:

Pear trees (2): Hardly any pears
Plum trees (3): Hardly any plums
Apples: Doing okay
Red currants: Much reduced crop
Strawberries: Disappointing, down by a half.

Slugs: bumper crop!

Anybody else experiencing similar?

mark

Frost related:
Walnuts - none (but kept its leaves unlike two years ago);
Plums, Damsons - none;
Sloes, Apples, pears - poor (variably so depending on where they are and when
they flowered);

wet related:
Red currants - average to good;
raspberries - very good;
blueberries - looking good;
strawberries - surprising (ours are quite early, usually at their best the week
before Wimbledon. When we first went to pick there was only rotten or unripe
berries but the weather was patchy and by picking just before each shower we
did better than expected still below average but some jam was made.)

slugs thriving, bring back the hedgehog.

In Hampshire, west of petersfield, but still in the Weald.
--
Ellis Morgan