Old 22-04-2003, 11:20 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

Default Potatos

"Tim" wrote in message
A simple question this - are seed potatos as sold in garden centres
etc really any different to those purchased in supermarkets and left
in the bottom of the fridge for a few weeks? ie can I just plant one
that's 'gone to seed' as it were, and expect to get any sort of a crop
come the autumn?

I realise I'm probably a little late for this season, but we're in
Scotland, and the ground's only recently become workable.

One of the old gardeners (growing veg for 60 years +) on our allotment site
never bought seed potatoes, he always went to a local supermarket and bought
the biggest cheapest spuds and planted those. He always got the biggest crop
of the biggest potatoes.

However, if they carry any disease it will be transferred into your soil.

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.