Old 27-07-2012, 09:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Oh no, the slugs have won!!

On 26/07/2012 23:16, wrote:
I've just got back from the allotment. The entire bloody place is
full of slugs! Still, after nemetoding! Millions of the little
buggers!!

There were 6 broad bean plants in a row, all with a slug at the same
height up the stem!!

I'm letting my chickens roam the vegetable garden now. While they take a
peck or two at the brassicas and lettuce they are more interested in
scratching the ground and eating small slugs, snails and any other
insects. So they seem more of a benefit than a problem in the veg
garden. I've noticed they don't eat large slugs or snails though, which
is a pity. I wouldn't trust them in there with brassica seedlings though.