Old 27-07-2012, 03:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ecnerwal Ecnerwal is offline

Default cucumbers

In article ,
songbird wrote:

which brings me to the question of why one
cucumber out of seven would be extremely bitter?

as it is sliced up and marinating in a mix
of onion, mayo and apple cider vinegar i cannot
tell which slices are going to zing me until
that bite is committed, but i will eat them
anyways. i don't mind them as much as Ma does.
she won't eat it at all.

Not that any of them worked this year (time for new seed, I guess - last
year the weather did them in and nothing germinated from old seed this
year) but I switched to lemon cukes (exclusively, so I could save seed)
years ago. Weird little things, but the most reliably non-bitter cuke
I've found so far. Don't need to peel them at all - just rub the spines
off and eat. I feel similarly to your Ma about the bitter ones.

If you are not peeling your slices, you might or might not find that
throughly peeling (every trace of dark green) will take away most of the
bitterness, as it's often with the peel. If you already are, then you
got the evil fruit. You could sample as you pick and see if it's
trackable to one plant - if not then just sample as you slice and reject
the bitter ones before you put them in the marinade.