Old 27-07-2012, 11:11 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
When I cut the lawns, I usually heave out the lawn mower and get
going. But having found a tiny froglet yesterday, I checked carefully
before starting to mow. Before long I had collected, and returned to
the pond, about 20 little froglets of varying sizes. Had I just
started cutting, I would have had 20 little chopped up froglets.

I've never known them to leave the pond like this, let alone in such
numbers. Why they have done so is a mystery.
It's normal behaviour, surely?

Maybe you have a better hatching rate than normal, maybe in previous years your lawn has been shorter at the critical time and they haven't lingered. But basically they'll be moving from the pond around now and going off to forage in moist vegetation. I don't find that many in the grass - one half is too short, the other half doesn't get cut till September - but I disturb a lot while I'm picking the alpine strawberries.

A friend of mine had your trouble, and was so alarmed that she didn't cut the grass for the rest of the year. Unfortunately she lives on one of those "exclusive" estates where people obsess about the tidiness of their neighbours' gardens, and she was persona non grata ;-)