Old 28-07-2012, 12:56 AM posted to rec.gardens
Farm1[_4_] Farm1[_4_] is offline

Default under/over water question

"Todd" wrote in message
On 07/26/2012 10:09 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 08:11:39 -0700, Todd wrote:

I was at one of the local Greenhouses a couple of days ago
and the "horticulturist" said the same thing you said:
"Water from the sky is so much better than what comes out
of our taps". So I do believe you called it. Thank you!

That's baloney... if your tap water is potable enough to drink it's
potable enough for plants. There is nothing added to municiple water
in amounts enough to affect plants, the dirt in your yard contains far
more harmful elements and still plants will thrive. And untreated
rain water is not all that pure, whatever pollutants are in the air is
in rain water.

That being said, the phenomenon has been observes by myself and others.
Would be interesting to an actual scientific study on it.
Wonder if the tap water treatments have anything to do with it.

Todd - David H-S gave the answer in the first response to your original
post - it's got nothing to do with potability of water - it's to do with
Nitrogen.

Do a search on "Atmospheric nitrogen" or the "nitrogen cycle" or
"Lightening nitrogen rain" and that will explain to you why rainwater is so
good for plants. Rainwater contains nitrogen in the form needed by plants
(that form of N is formed by lightening).