Old 22-04-2003, 11:32 PM
bnd777

Default Climber to cover a dead conifer in the wrong place.......

We tried leaving in a dead Lawsons Conifer and tried to grow honeysuckle up
it but despite lots of compost and water it never got going .......conifers
screw up the ground and the mere prescence of the tree will stop rain etc
getting to the climber especially important for a Clematis
"Richard Roocroft" wrote in message
In message , Nick Maclaren
writes
In article ,
Richard Roocroft wrote:

A good clematis is C. alpina and, as you can cut it down to ground
level after flowering, you shouldn't have a problem when time comes to
remove the tree - you can then put in a stake and some chicken wire,
if you want. But there are lots of others, though avoid the montana
group (too vigorous).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Thanks to all who replied - very kind of you to take the time.

I'm swaying towards a Clemmy alpina now. Hadn't thought about the
possibility of fungal infections in the dead tree, though - thought it
would be there for years, as the 3 or 4 trunks are at least a foot
across - I would've thought it would take a lot of shifting, which was
why I fancied climbers anyway. Alpina 'Constance' looks stunning !
Anyone any experience of growing this up a conifer or tree ?

Regards & thanks again.

Roo.

--
Richard Roocroft