Old 28-07-2012, 04:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default I'm flumuxed

"David Hill" wrote in message
On 27/07/2012 23:46, Christina Websell wrote:
"David Hill" wrote in message
On 27/07/2012 09:41, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 20:44:47 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

I always throw any left over food, chicken bones etc under the hedge,
in
the evening in the one spot, and for years we have had a fox or two
and
a badger visiting for them.
A few weeks ago I chucked out a chicken carcass, then went out about
half an hour later with a few more scraps, this would have been about
10pm, something moved away grumbling, making sounds I've never heard
form our visitors before, it's grumbling carried on till it was a good
50 yards away.
Then over this last weekend I found a casserole dish of pasta I'd
forgotten, it was niffing a lot, but I thought they would clear it.
I was wrong , in the morning something had scratched all round it to
bury it the same as a cat will cover it's mess.
The area scratched was about a Sq. yard, the next night more covering.
Now I doubt it's a Fox, but a Fussy Badger?
Any ideas?
David @ the baking end of Swansea bay where it reached 80F today.

If you google for 'badger sounds' and 'fox sounds', you'll get links
to recordings of the noises they make. I suspect male and female
badgers aren't called boar and sow for no reason.

What I find strange is the covering up of the foul food.
I'll try the "sounds" search.
Thanks

Why do you find it strange? I think it's very intelligent of whatever
did
it to cover up stinkingly bad food that may have harmed them if they ate
it.
If you have such food again, put in in your dustbin - what benefit can
the
wildlife have from it? None, and they told you so by burying it.
Probably
a fox.

Tina

What I find strange is the way it was covered, just as if it had been done
by a cat, but no cat would draw from an area of a Sq. Yard.
This is the first time in over 10 years that anything has been rejected.

But did you ever put something out for them to eat that was so bad as that?
Please don't put food out that is obviously stinky and bad for wildlife.
Put it in the dustbin.
They told you what they thought of it.
Feed the foxes and badger if you want to, but not with stinking pasta. I'm
surprised you even offered it outside to your wildlife. THROW IT AWAY