Old 28-07-2012, 04:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Lobster Lobster is offline

Default Long hedge shears needed

On 23/07/2012 01:01, Janet wrote:
In article , davidlobsterpot601
@hotmail.com says...

On 22/07/2012 21:31, David Hill wrote:
What plants are you having to trim for this hedge?

Um - I'm no gardener! ducks

There are two offending ones I can't reach with my ordinary trimmers -
one's a really spikey sort of gorse-like thing which is like a big
sphere really; and there's an adjoining plant of comparable size which I
have no clue about. Dark green, tiny leaves. They provide cover between
the footpath and the drive basically.

So you're no gardener, but can you take and post pics of the 2 offenders?

It's a bit too dark now, but here's one I took earlier this month, just
before shearing time... it's the two big round green lumps to the left
and centre of the pic - does that help (but in my gardening ignorance -
does it make a difference what type they are?):
http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/4848/hedgeu.jpg

Seems to me I'm heading reluctantly towards purchasing a telescopic
electric job - this "Kiam Sherwood Hedgescaper Electric Hedge Trimmer"
at 90 GBP delivered looks the part, but has anyone heard of Kiam before...?
http://preview.tinyurl.com/c9ddl6n

Maybe a "Ryobi Articulating Pole Hedge Cutter" (a brand I know and trust
from DIY powertools) would be a better bet:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/ckvpz8f

If anyone's got any thoughts on these or any others, then opinions most
welcomed...

Consider the weight compared to your present machine. The longer the
reach the heavier and more unweildy it's going to be; and looking ahead,
the older you get the weaker your upper body strength. I'd strongly
recommend borrowing or hiring one for a trial, before you commit.

Well you were absolutely right - not that I didn't believe you! - but I
decided that a telescopic trimmer was the only way I was ever going to
get the damned hedge cut, by hook or by crook, so I went ahead and
bought the Ryobi.

It's done the job, but was bloody hard graft because of the weight at
the end of the pole when held horizontally - I could just manage it, and
all being well will be able to do so for a few years to come, at which
point I suspect the task of trimming the crest might fall upon my son
when he comes to visit!

Thanks for the advice, all.

David