Old 28-07-2012, 04:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default OT Squirrel proof bird feeders

On 28/07/2012 16:28, Moonraker wrote:

I am heartily sick of squirrels getting the lion's share of my bird
food. As fast as I get rid of squirrels new ones come to replace them.
Has anyone experience of those for sale? If so which are useless and
which are good? The only problem that I can see is that the pair of
woodpeckers (well I say pair maybe they are just friends) will be unable
to feed. any help most welcomed. TIA

I have a standard bird feeder but use the threaded hole on the underside
to attach it to the top of a 15mm copper pipe (using standard cheap
compression plumbing fittings - the official kit is overpriced).
Squirrels cannot climb smooth copper pipe and it is amusing to watch
them try.

The alternative is one that looks like a football with hefty gauge wire
to defeat the squirrels. Unfortunately then only small birds can get to
the feeder and I suspect a woodpecker will be too big to fit in.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown