Old 28-07-2012, 08:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default OT Squirrel proof bird feeders

On 28/07/2012 19:34, Pete wrote:

"rbel" wrote in message ...

sic

The trouble with the cage type feeders is that whilst they do exclude
the larger corvids such as magpies they do the same for Greater
Spotted Woodpeckers which we are more than happy to see.
--
rbel

Our woodies have no trouble with the cage type - pictured left.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7265/7...067a9341_b.jpg

They do with the one in the middle where the distance to the nuts is
somewhat greater.

The seed one on the left is a bit of a dead loss as all and sundry has
learnt that the contents
empty with a shake, on to the ground, which the magpies just love (:-(

Regards
Pete

Don't talk of Magpies.
My feeders are empty and will stay so for a day whilst I make more food
for the birds.
So this afternoon a Magpie decided to come in through an open window
looking for food, it took almost half an hour to get it to go out.
I wonder if I should have tempted it with food?