Old 30-07-2012, 11:46 PM posted to rec.gardens
Higgs Boson Higgs Boson is offline

Default Growing radishes? ? ?

On Jul 29, 9:55*pm, "David Hare-Scott" wrote:
"Brooklyn1" *wrote in message
.. .

Ray wrote:

I'm about to go crazy trying to grow the easiest of all vegetables to
grow -- radishes.

No matter what location I use, no matter what soil, no matter what
depth I plant them, I always get the same result: A two-inch-long
spindly stem, but never a root.

I follow all the instructions on the packet very carefully, but the
result is ALWAYS the same.

Any suggestions welcome.

Radish is a cool weather crop, best planted in very early spring after
danger of a hard freeze has passed. *If you attempt to grow radish in
hot weather you will get woody radishes, exactly what you described.

I didn't read that, he said "never a root".

Ray wrote:
I've planted radishes at least a dozen times -- in all locations, at
all times of the year -- always with the same result.

To most growers radishes are pretty easy. *Unless you give some more details
that allow us to work out what is different about your situation any advice
is a guess. *So what is your climate, what is your soil like, what is the
range of the situations that you have planted in, what seed have you used?
How long do you wait after sprouting? Are you sure that you actually have
radish seed not some other brassica that has no significant root?

***I can empathize! I've had terrible results with a veg that is
supposed to be so easy that little kids plant it in their school
garden. I'm in So. Calif. coastal, and I DO NOT plant in hot weather
and I have good soil. Who knows...?

HB