Old 01-08-2012, 08:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Farmer Giles Farmer Giles is offline

Default Hawthorn hedge - interplanting for better winter screening?

On 2012-07-31 19:01:22 +0100, Tim Watts said:

Thanks to everyone so far - some promising ideas. And I have never
heard of
any of the suggestions, so I'd never have worked this out wiothout all
your
help

Cheers!

Tim

I'm afraid I'm going to disagree with those suggesting Escallonia. While
it does, indeed, make an extremely handsome hedge, imo it looks
absolutely dreadful as 'dot' planting and achieves a kind of scruffiness
that is very undesirable! If you decide to grub the whole hedge out
and replace it, then I'd certainly say look at Escallonia. But as a few
plants interspersed with established holly and hawthorn, it will look
like a ballet dancer in a coalmine, imo.

:-) Love that expression!

Going back to the original question, I have a similar problem but the
holly sections are beginning to work their magic. It's a slow process,
though, but I think the best answer. We also have a 'chunk' of yew in
the mix which is excellent, the best bit of hedging I've ever seen. It
is spreading slowly - and very surely - but certainly not a quick fix!