Old 01-08-2012, 12:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ophelia[_4_] Ophelia[_4_] is offline

Default Blackberry pie

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
On 01/08/2012 10:52, Ophelia wrote:

wrote in message
Sacha wrote:
Do you? Whenever I've picked blackberries they've always had a
stem and
middle bit, unlike raspberries, which pick nicely!

Oh yes! The ones I have picked come off clean the same as
raspberries.

Weird, I've never had blackberries do that. To the point where I
don't pick
blackberries much any more cos it annoys me so much.

Perhaps you're in too much of a hurry! ;-) Maybe they need to ripen a
bit longer?

I tried this yesterday with the blackberries by the car. 3 picked, all
ripe to the point of almost squishy. 1 left a bit of stalk, 3 had the
middle bit still in.

Are they wild? I haven't picked wild in years. The ones growing in my
garden are really big things. I can't remember the name of them
though. I don't have much problem with them.

I think the cultivars have been selected and out-crossed with raspberry or
something to confer less thorns and/or more easily detachable fruit. Mine
are a mix or wild and cultivars along the field boundary although this
year the beast managed to eat a fair amount of the thornless varieties and
some of the thorny ones after breaking the fence.

Oh You might be better with thorns?

The cultivars have bigger and sweeter berries.

Probably what we have then, but ours have big thorns and we use it on a
boundary fence.

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/