Old 01-08-2012, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default Blackberry pie

kay wrote in :

1) Blackberry crumble: Take some flour and half as much by weight of
butter or marg. Use your finger tips to squash the fat into the flour,
breaking it up so that eventually it looks "like breadcrumbs". Mix in
some sugar - not more than a quarter of the weight of the flour,
probably less. Scatter it on top of the blackberries and cook as for
pie.

2) Blackberry sponge: Take equal weight of eggs, marg, sugar and flour.
Use a beater to mix the sugar and marg until it looks paler and
fluffier, add the eggs and stir in, add the flour and stir in. Spread on
top of the blackberries, cook at 180 deg C, when it looks golden brown,
test by pressing with your finger. If it leaves a dent and doesn't
bounce back up, you need to cook it a bit longer.

3) You can stretch the blackberries without adversely affecting the
taste by adding apples. To be in the safe side, you might want to
pre-cook these a bit, as they taste better when soft and pureed.

Made the crumble last night and it was delicious.
My old recipe was using marg, I used butter as you said. The difference is staggering.

Thanks for the recipes
Baz