Old 23-04-2003, 12:32 AM
animaux

Default basic botony question: What triggers perrenials to begin regrowing?

Here is a great website which describes how "phenology" works. I'm adding a
link to the FAQ I'm trying to gather up. If anyone else has anything of
specialty you'd want to add, feel free.

Victoria

On 22 Apr 2003 07:18:52 -0700, (Steve Henning) wrote:

"Adam Schwartz" wrote:

Is it increased water, warmer temperatures, more daylight or something else?
I ask because my lemon balm, sage, lavendar, thyme and oregano all still
look like they did in January.

The primary trigger is length of day. This can be "clouded" by bad
weather that tricks the plant into thinking that the day length is
shorter than it really is. This will cause a delay.

Temperature is a secondary trigger. Fortunately, most plants will not
sprout when it is too cold for them succeed. Also, most plants will
not sprout during warm periods in the middle of winter.

Moisture is a factor in some plants. If it's been a very wet winter,
or if they're planted in a spot that's too moist, Astilboides and
Darmera can also be painfully slow to awaken.

General health and vigor are also factors. We had a severe drought
last summer and all of our plants are slow in sprouting this spring.
Some look like they won't sprout at all. I am giving them extra time
and they seem to be slowly coming back.

http://www.users.fast.net/~shenning/rhody.html
http://members.aol.com/rhodyman/rhodybooks.html