Old 02-08-2012, 08:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] smithx@btinternet.com is offline

Default Froglet Alert

On Friday, July 27, 2012 5:07:15 PM UTC+1, Jake wrote:
When I cut the lawns, I usually heave out the lawn mower and get

going. But having found a tiny froglet yesterday, I checked carefully

before starting to mow. Before long I had collected, and returned to

the pond, about 20 little froglets of varying sizes. Had I just

started cutting, I would have had 20 little chopped up froglets.

Later, I found some on one of the front lawns and I only noticed those

because they were surrounded by a group of baby slow worms (about 3"

long) and presumably about to be eaten! If those froglets came from my

pond (and I know of no other in the vicinity), they had migrated about

30 metres!

I've never known them to leave the pond like this, let alone in such

numbers. Why they have done so is a mystery.

But the lesson is if you have a pond in which frogs have spawned,

check carefully before you mow around it!

You are lucky to have so many froglets. All of my many tadpoles seem to have since died, though I do have a few young newts.

Doug