Old 02-08-2012, 10:50 AM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff0901 View Post
Hi folks, this is my first post on your site after lurking about for several months. I wonder is anyone could be so kind as to offer any advice or opinion on the condition of my conifer hedge. I first noticed the browning about the middle of February this year and it has got steadily worse since. The hedge has been in for about 14 years and has always appeared healthy. As you can see from the images it is healthy above and below the browning. I stay in Central scotland.
thanks
When did you last clip it? This can happen if you clip the hedge in cold weather. Though the browned fronds look regrown, not clipped, so I suspect that isn't it. Also they don't like cold winds, as you can appreciate if you see them being grown in particularly exposed places, where they often die off on the windward side. So if you had some particularly cold and windy weather, that could be the cause of it.

It doesn't regrow green unless there is still some green there. If you are lucky you can encourage the remaining green bits to grow into the brown area, otherwise you are stuffed, it won't look nice again. That is the difficulty of cypress hedges, they don't regrow if pruned hard. Choose a more reliable hedge to replace it with.