Old 23-04-2003, 12:32 AM
Sarah Dale

Default Tomato Size?

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 12:15:30 +0100, Charlie wrote:

How big should my tomato and pepper plants be right now? I mean, they're no
where near the size of the garden centre ones. Is that normal? Should I
scrap them and buy some already grown to 6"?

Don't panic. My tomatoes are currently 1" high, and the peppers & chillies
about 1/2" high - these are all seeds from Marshalls, in B&Q organic
(bark) compost, planted in the conservatory at the end March / early
April.

They'll grow on faster than you think. Make sure that you are watering
them reguarly, but they are not too wet. Make sure the pot is big enough
for the plant - i.e. it has enough root space and grub so it can grow,
make sure they are warm enough. Give them a bit of warmthm time & TLC,
and you'll suprise yourself.

I grew tomatoes, peppers & chillies for the first time last year, and
managed reasonable crops of tomatoes & chillies, but not peppers (I don't
think they were warm enough in the garden outside (chillies were grown in
the conservatory)) from seeds planted at the end of March, I was chuffed
to bits!

I'm hoping to do even better this year - we shall see!

Sarah