Old 02-08-2012, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default Hawthorn hedge - interplanting for better winter screening?

On 02/08/2012 18:52, Bill Grey wrote:
If I may break into this thread, could someone please tell me exactly how to
insert privet cuttings into my hedge to fill in gaps.
I have cut down my hedge to a manageable height ( 1 metre) but my neighbour
seems to think I've destroyed the "shared" hedge. The hedge had become
leggy with little growth at the bottom.... I now hope it will fillout in the
future.

TIA

Bill

On 2012-07-31 19:01:22 +0100, Tim Watts said:

Thanks to everyone so far - some promising ideas. And I have never heard
of
any of the suggestions, so I'd never have worked this out wiothout all
your
help

Cheers!

Tim

I'm afraid I'm going to disagree with those suggesting Escallonia. While
it does, indeed, make an extremely handsome hedge, imo it looks absolutely
dreadful as 'dot' planting and achieves a kind of scruffiness that is very
undesirable! If you decide to grub the whole hedge out and replace it,
then I'd certainly say look at Escallonia. But as a few plants
interspersed with established holly and hawthorn, it will look like a
ballet dancer in a coalmine, imo.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Get straight cuttings around 12 to 18 inches in length, place the lower
end against the soil
Then PUSH