Old 03-08-2012, 04:54 AM posted to rec.gardens
Dan Espen[_2_] Dan Espen[_2_] is offline

Default Soil Dumping

" writes:

Dan Espen wrote:
t writes:

Dan Espen wrote:

(...)

Legal problem?

He's complaining that someone left something that costs money on his
property. Landscapers don't dump gravel that they have to pay for
on random lots.

Only on those lots with 'unimproved' soil.
They figure, apparently that the owner won't be able to tell
the difference.

Uh no.

A contractor doesn't just find extra soil on his truck.

It becomes 'extra' when the job is complete and there is no
requirement for the remainder. It is now a very expensive
liability. The contractor is not about to load it on his
truck and find a safe, legal, moral way to dispose of it if
he can merely litter a neighbor's lot with it. It's just
faster and cheaper to litter, especially at $200 a yard to
toss it.

If a contractor buys soil at a yard, they can return any unused
soil for refund.

If you show up with some junk from your yard, they are not going
to take it.

Yes. While you're at it, here are some other true things
that make no sense:

How very unhelpful.

Beats me what's going on.

Check under your ground cover some time.
The castoff chunks of concrete debris are courtesy of your
local building contractor. Please thank them for their
valuable contribution to your savings.

Burying building materials on a new home site is not
done where I live.

Sounds like you're in the SouthWest somewhere.
Can't say what your laws or practices are.

Also don't know how to enrich your "soil", but
mulch is a cover meant to keep down weeds.

I can assure you there are no building materials buried
anywhere on my property. I've been here long enough to know.
I've dug just about everywhere on the property in over 30 years.

--
Dan Espen