Old 03-08-2012, 03:57 PM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff0901 View Post
Hi folks, this is my first post on your site after lurking about for several months. I wonder is anyone could be so kind as to offer any advice or opinion on the condition of my conifer hedge. I first noticed the browning about the middle of February this year and it has got steadily worse since. The hedge has been in for about 14 years and has always appeared healthy. As you can see from the images it is healthy above and below the browning. I stay in Central scotland.
thanks
I've done a little more research and apparently in Britain this is most often caused by the Cypress aphid. Unfortunately the previous point I made about not regrowing from browned areas is true, so it isn't worth bothering trying to save the hedge it is excessively browned. Though you might want to look at the bits that are still green and consider whether you want to treat those with insecticide to try and save those.