Old 06-08-2012, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Chinese Lanterns

"David in Normandy" wrote

Bob Hobden wrote:
Talking to an elderly chap today and he said he has tried numerous times
to grow Physalis and they never last more than two summers. For him it's
a remembrance plant. I'm sure some on here grow these so which is the
best to grow that is truly perennial.
Soil is Thames silt/clay over gravel with pH 7 or thereabouts.

It grows well (invasively) in our garden in clay soil under the shade of
trees. It also used to grow similarly at our house in the UK where it was
in slight shade in rich loamy soil. I'd got the impression it was tough as
old boots.

The garden he has tried growing it in is South facing, sun all day, so
perhaps that is the reason. Needs a bit of shade.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.