Old 06-08-2012, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Chinese Lanterns

Nick wrote

Bob Hobden wrote:

Talking to an elderly chap today and he said he has tried numerous times
grow Physalis and they never last more than two summers. For him it's a
remembrance plant. I'm sure some on here grow these so which is the best
grow that is truly perennial.

Which Physalis? I assume P. alkekengi, but it may not be.

Soil is Thames silt/clay over gravel with pH 7 or thereabouts.

That's probably the reason. Poor drainage.

The gentleman concerned is not a gardener so it would be no good asking him
which he tried, just Chinese Lanterns as far as he is concerned. If that one
you mention is the one everyone grew in the old days then that is the one he
wants.
Never seen even a puddle in his S . facing garden so I don't think poor
drainage is a problem, more likely to be too dry and baked up in summer.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.