Old 23-04-2003, 01:56 AM
MMMavocado

Default Bromeliads - Pineapples

From: "Jeff Shimonski"

Perhaps the "purpose" is insecticidal. Ananas comosus wasn't always seedless
and the enzyme might have functioned as a toxin or repellant to insect larvae
that
could have damaged the fruit before the seeds could be dispersed.

This also is a reasonable theory. It can easily be tested by examining wild
species of Ananas for fruit predation by insects through various stages of
developement.

Sean BRBR

This may be a bit off topic, but thought I'd reply to the "Ananas comosus
wasn't always seedless," above. As far as I know, all pineapples are still
completely fertile, and will make plenty of viable seeds IF they are pollenized
by a different cultivar. They are quite self-incompatible, and are grown
commercially in single-variety plantings to force seedlessness.