Old 07-08-2012, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
Kay Lancaster Kay Lancaster is offline

Default Good perennial for indoors and later outdoors?

On Tue, 07 Aug 2012 07:57:58 -0700, David E. Ross wrote:
I always thought of impatiens and coleus as annuals. However, Sunset's
"Western Garden Book" describes coleus hybrids and Impatiens walleriana
(busy Lizzie) as perennials.

Many "garden annuals" are annual only because a heavy enough freeze comes
along. Keep 'em from freezing and you can keep them growing for many
years. Wax and similar begonias are another possibility for the house
in winter -- just look for plants you like that do well in shade.

On the other hand, many of the things we think of as "houseplants" do
fine outside in summer shade. Dunno how many hanging baskets I've started
over the years that included clippings of Swedish ivy and pothos and
Cymbalaria and various gesneriads, mixed with "garden annuals".

Another easy plant for indoors in the winter, if you can find it, is
sweet potato. You don't want the ones that were sprayed to inhibit
rooting, so you're most likely to find them in the "organics" section.
Even so, eventually the sprayed sweet potatoes sprout... I've got one
that's been sitting here since last Christmas and it's finally putting
out shoots and roots. Occasionally you can also find ginger, taro,
yuca that will sprout, right there in the produce section. g

Kay

The attraction of coleus is its multicolored leaves. To prolong vigor,
flower shoots should be removed immediately when the appear. Even then,
the plant may lose its vigor after a year. Renew it by taking cuttings,
which are easily rooted.

Although Impatiens walleriana is perennial, it is usually treated as an
annual. To maintain long-term vigor as a perennial, it needs to be cut
back often to about 6". It will quickly send out new shoots and resume
flowering.