Old 08-08-2012, 02:27 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Farm1[_4_] Farm1[_4_] is offline

Default First Broad Bean

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Farm1 wrote:
Yesterday, I noticed my first broad bean (fava in USian?) of the
season popping it's head up. Must plant the next lot in a few days. I
love new, tiny broad beans.

Afte several years I have given up on them as they are just too much work
for the result. Yes they are very nice when young and fresh. But you
have to grow a lot of plants to get a few beans and then there is much
shelling and peeling.

Yebbut they are actually well worth eating unlike the BBs one' can buy.

Himself used to hate all sorts of beans including BBs. He's one of those
very strong willed people so I've not bothered to grow them or serve then
but after aobut 35 years, I'd decided that enough was enough and I liked
them so I would grow them because at least I would eat them. The tiny ones
were so gorgeous that even he decided he liked them and has even now eaten
home grown green beans.

For me, I tend to only grow things that are so much better than the bought
that it's worth my time and effort. and we do have some good places within
an hours drive where I can get good veg but I still put BBs firmly into the
better grown category.

After harvesting I could fill a compost bay with the plants
and shells for a couple of kilos of edibles.

Chooks love the haulms.

Of course if you get a strong
wind (I mean blowing over the garden not after you eat them) the buggers
blow down and turn in circles.

:-)) I thought that is why one was supposed to put stakes at about 2 ft
intervals and tie some baling twine in squares so they got some support.