Old 08-08-2012, 11:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default East Facing UK Garden + Clay

mdemetri2 wrote:
Hi, I have been 4 years in my current home, and the back garden pretty
much each year needs some new plants and shrubs. Although I admit we
have in the past bought what looks nice and arent necessarily suited
for our east facing heavy clay moisture retaining soil.

Firstly, I have over the last 2 months or so being contemplating
removing the soil/clay from our flower bed about a foot or so and
replacing with new soil mixed in with sand but adding more depth - so
allowing for a total of 15 inches of decent soil to replace the harsh
stuff we have now. Lots of digging out and replacing.....good idea?

It is a quick fix that will work as long as you don't create a pond. The
area that you excavate must not go down into the clay or the plants (unless
bog-adapted) will drown. Either cut away enough so that the whole area
drains or build it up into a mound to get the same result. It may be more
effective to make sides for a raised bed depending on the lie of the land.
You have to take levels to work this out not guess.

As an aside, we had our lawn put down 2 years ago, and only now over
the last month or two with some sunshine and lots of rain has it come
back to life as it were....was previously, quite thinned out
especially when cut and not really great looking - although fine when
it looks like it needs cutting, again due to the clay soil and poor
drainage - but I do throw down aftercut lawn care every so often when
I mow it.

Unless you need a soft playing surface consider a ground cover that requires
less sun and attention. If keeping the grass try to amend the soil in situ
by applying clay breaker, top dressing and using a mulching blade on your
mower and leave the cuttings there.