Old 08-08-2012, 11:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default First Broad Bean

songbird wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:
Afte several years I have given up on them as they are just too much
work for the result. Yes they are very nice when young and fresh.
But you have to grow a lot of plants to get a few beans and then
there is much shelling and peeling. After harvesting I could fill a
compost bay with the plants and shells for a couple of kilos of
edibles. Of course if you get a strong wind (I mean blowing over
the garden not after you eat them) the buggers blow down and turn in
circles.

are they vines/climbers?

No. They have weak stems and grow tall with lots of folliage and pods to
make them top heavy.