Old 09-08-2012, 06:34 PM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_12_] Billy[_12_] is offline

Default Propping up a young tree (in slightly unusual circumstances)

In article ,
zibafu wrote:

since I now am trying to grow a grapevine I discovered one method you
could try, hardish to describe tho

plant stakes either side of it firmly in the ground with wiring/string
in between them horizontally taught, with it crossing the path of your
tree,and then using another piece of string tie the plant to the wire,
Ive no idea how well this would work for this so you'd need some pretty
strong, long stakes that sit firmly in the ground surrounding the plant,
and you can use several horizontal wires at different heights if you
wanted to give it more support until its strong enough by itself.

Just a thought

See for pictures
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1428.html
or
http://extension.wsu.edu/maritimefruit/Pages/GrapePruningBasics.aspx

The cordon pruning is also done for fruit trees, i.e. apple.

In commercial vineyards the end posts are braced.

--
Welcome to the New America.
or