Old 23-04-2003, 02:32 AM
FarmerDill

Default Fixing tiller

Hi, I have an old tiller that won't start. There is no spark, what could
be wrong with it? My dad took the coil out a couple years ago and was
going to test it but never got around to it. How would I test the coil
or should I just buy a new one?

http://members.cox.net/michaelshaffer/tiller1.jpg
http://members.cox.net/michaelshaffer/tiller2.jpg

thanks
Michael Shaffer

Mike
What type of engine. The older tiller engines Briggs, Clinton, Tecumseh had
points and condensers which would quit quite suddenly. Usually replacing with a
tune up kit fixed the problem. Of course to do this , you have to pull the
flywheel on most of them. The newer models with electronic ignition are less
troublesome but I don't know anyway to test when the unit is bad, The only one
I have repaired (Briggs on a lawn mower) I just replaced the unit.