Old 09-08-2012, 08:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default plant-world-seeds ?

On 07/08/2012 10:39, G Wolmershäuser wrote:
Am 06.08.2012 21:36, schrieb Chris Hogg:

AIUI they collect their own seeds by hand from plants in their own
'world garden'. It does mean that a lot of the seeds are 'open
pollinated, so Plant-World can't be certain that all the plants that
grow from those seeds will be identical to its parent.

Yes, that's my main concern. I'm particularly interested in Himalayan
plants, e.g. Meconopsis. Many of them do easily hybridize. Similar
problem with bluebells. I have not yet found a source for true
Hyacinthoides non-scripta. All of them were more or less hybridized with
H. hispanica.

http://www.avonbulbs.co.uk/s/hyacint...8/Product.aspx
I would be very surprised to find that these are not true.

Some alternatives at:
http://www.thegardeningwebsite.co.uk...land-c426.html

eg http://www.kevockgarden.co.uk/

I would guess that H. hispanica is far more uncommon in Scotland than in
England, so a Scottish supplier is more likely to have the true,
unhybridised, English bluebell.

--

Jeff