Old 11-08-2012, 03:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
G Wolmershäuser[_2_] G Wolmershäuser[_2_] is offline

Default plant-world-seeds ?

Am 09.08.2012 21:46, schrieb Jeff Layman:

http://www.avonbulbs.co.uk/s/hyacint...8/Product.aspx
I would be very surprised to find that these are not true.

Perhaps you are right. However, I have learned that many of the plant-
(bulb- seed-) shops do lie with their photographs. Quite often the
colour or the size is wrong or the whole picture is taken from
somewhere. In the case of H. non-scripta there are some other parameters
besides flower stems nodding to one side. A few years ago I got
hybridized bluebells advertised as "true" bluebells even from a British
company (don't remember which one). So I'm somewhat suspicious.

Some alternatives at:
http://www.thegardeningwebsite.co.uk...land-c426.html

eg http://www.kevockgarden.co.uk/

I would guess that H. hispanica is far more uncommon in Scotland than in
England, so a Scottish supplier is more likely to have the true,
unhybridised, English bluebell.

OK, that sounds reasonable.

Gotthelf

--