Old 13-08-2012, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default plant-world-seeds ?

On 11/08/2012 15:39, G Wolmershäuser wrote:
Am 09.08.2012 21:46, schrieb Jeff Layman:

http://www.avonbulbs.co.uk/s/hyacint...8/Product.aspx
I would be very surprised to find that these are not true.

Perhaps you are right. However, I have learned that many of the plant-
(bulb- seed-) shops do lie with their photographs. Quite often the
colour or the size is wrong or the whole picture is taken from
somewhere. In the case of H. non-scripta there are some other parameters
besides flower stems nodding to one side. A few years ago I got
hybridized bluebells advertised as "true" bluebells even from a British
company (don't remember which one). So I'm somewhat suspicious.

Some alternatives at:
http://www.thegardeningwebsite.co.uk...land-c426.html

eg http://www.kevockgarden.co.uk/

I would guess that H. hispanica is far more uncommon in Scotland than in
England, so a Scottish supplier is more likely to have the true,
unhybridised, English bluebell.

OK, that sounds reasonable.

Gotthelf

I believe that, in Scotland, the English Bluebell is commonly called
Harebell (aka Campanula rotundifolia), so you will need to use the latin
tag to be sure you get the right plant. Hyacinthoides non-scripta has
already been mentioned, but it is still occasionally seen as Scilla
non-scripta or Endymion non-scripta.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London