Old 15-08-2012, 02:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default New to this site and gardening

Higgs Boson wrote:

***Before getting into the specifics, I am puzzled by the term "acidic
clay". I thought clay was always alkaline. Did a quick check on-
line, which bears out my idea.
Also agreed with water-logging comment.

??

Nope. My clay silt topsoil is pH 5.5 without any work on it. It takes some
time with lime to bring it up to 6.5 due to the high buffering capacity -
another consequence of those clay colloids. I haven't tested the plastic
clay subsoil but I cannot imagine it is much different.