Old 15-08-2012, 02:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue[_11_] Sue[_11_] is offline

Default Helianthus or similar?

On 2012-08-09 13:22:57 +0100, "Sue" said:
[...]
Are there any tallish (4- 5ft) Heliopsis or Helianthus varieties, or
something similar, with pale lemon flowers I could plant elsewhere
that wouldn't try and take over the entire bed? I want an idea for a
mainly sunny position at the back of another border.

I've just had a thought. What about some of the taller Rudbeckias like
'Herbstonne' or 'Goldquelle'.

Oh yes, I hadn't thought about Rudbeckias. The shorter 'Goldstrum' is
doing alright to the front but there are all sorts of heights and
shades, aren't there. I'll google around and see which are thought to
have the most drought resistance. Thanks.

Just realised I'd managed in a senior moment to label my interloper
Helianthus as 'Helianthemum' on the pix the other night. Um... Now
hopefully corrected! http://flic.kr/s/aHsjBnvybf

Do you think it's Lemon Queen or some other variety, Sacha? It does seem
too bright a yellow to me. Gaudy and coarse, my OH said - hah! He's the
one who refuses to appreciate how nice daisies and pink clover are in
the lawn, so what does he know.

--
Sue