Old 16-08-2012, 05:15 AM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_12_] Billy[_12_] is offline

Default winter vegi's?

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Don Phillipson wrote:
"Todd" wrote in message
Hi All,

This is new concept for me: winter vegetables. Our
winters (Northern Nevada) gets down to at 25F at night
with a handful 0F. Daytimes in the 50's. Snow fall
is about 6" at its worst and usually melts that day.

As far as I can tell, that means cabbage, carrots,
spinach. Bearing in mind I have an anti-green thumb,
so it has to be easy, what do you guys think I
could/should grow in the winter?

Leeks for sure and some varieties of potato.

What variety of potato? Have you actually grown them in temperatures below
freezing? All the potatoes I have grown are frost tender and would have no
chance of growing in such conditions. I think you are in error here.

David

Don, you may want to look at
http://westsidegardener.com/howto/hoophouse.html

and