Old 17-08-2012, 03:42 AM posted to rec.gardens,uk.people.silversurfers
Higgs Boson Higgs Boson is offline

Default Progression from garden fence

On Aug 16, 4:15*am, "john turner" wrote:
Young couple moved into rented house next door a few months ago and they are
friendly and we chat to them over the garden fence, now and again.

They decided they are getting married in a couple of weeks, and have invited
us to a wedding reception a nearby local venue, in the evening after the
wedding.

We are in our seventies and wont really fit into their young crowd who are
into drinking quite a lot. *Also we won't know anyone apart from the couple.
In a way we would prefer not to go, but dot want to hurt anyone's feelings.

Also the question of a gift? Finances are not good for us at the moment so
won't want to spend a lot. What might be a good thing to get that's not
expensive?

When in doubt, I always make a charitable contribution to the
organization of their choice. It's quite acceptable for you to
contact them and ask where they would like the contribution directed.
(Heaven forbid they should name a group that is anathema to you!).
And thank them for the reception invite, but explain that you don't go
out much in the evening. Covers all bases.

HB

HB