Old 17-08-2012, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue[_11_] Sue[_11_] is offline

Default Helianthus or similar?

"Spider" wrote
On 16/08/2012 11:36, Sue wrote:

"Spider" wrote:

[...]
Whatever they are, you're in need of changing them. I've even
thought of some of the lovely soft yellow Echinaceas, but they all
seem to be too short. Pity. I'll keep thinking about it. No
hardship, I love yellowy flowers.

Yes, me too. Particularly creamy yellows - they seem to blend in so
well with almost anything and still give a touch of sunshine.

Thanks Spider.

Just had a thought, Sue. Although they're not daisy flowers, I'm
wondering if one of the soft buttery-lemon Verbascums would suit you?
They would give you the height you need, something close to the colour
you want, and the possible addition of an 'eye' in another colour,
which may be useful when blending them in with your existing plants.
They also appeal to bees, which is a plus in my book.

Yes, that would work. Thanks.Nice spire shapes in a soft yellow or pale
apricot would fit in very well. There are some good ones shown in
Cotswold GF's encyclopaedia.
http://www.cgf.net/plants.aspx?id=8&...enus=VERBASCUM

I also thought about lemon Hollyhocks, but they've never done very well
here in the past, which is a pity because I love good old Hollyhocks in
any colour. They remind me of the house where I was born; my mother
always had some in our back garden.

--
Sue